The Realistic Success Recovery Society
The statistics on the number of people with substance use problems in our population indicates why good quality services are so desperately required for our communities to be healthy places to live, work and play.
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto reports that:
• In any given year, 1 in 5 Canadians experiences a mental health or addiction problem.
• By the time Canadians reach 40 years of age, 1 in 2 have – or have had – a mental illness.
• Men have higher rates of addiction than women, while women have higher rates of mood and anxiety disorders.
• People with a mental illness are twice as likely to have a substance use problem compared to the general population. At least 20% of people with a mental illness have a co-occurring substance use problem. For people with schizophrenia, the number may be as high as 50%.
The cycle of addiction & poverty can be stopped most people in recovery come from families of alcoholics or drug addicts – changing the trajectory of those in recovery can have lasting impacts for those families and our communities. Breaking the cycle of addiction and poverty takes time, resources and a belief that each person in this province in recovery is of value. For example, in the past two years alone, we have 11 alumni all whom are working full time, six of these men are now members of unions and apprenticing in trades improving their lives and enhancing their communities. (100% of our residents reported they were raised in a family of where alcohol and/drug use was prevalent.)
WE SERVE THESE POPULATIONS:
- Homeless, Persons with disabilities or special needs
WE ADDRESS THESE ISSUES:
- Health & Wellness
For more information or to support our work
CRA Registration Number