Vital Signs, Newcomers: Baobab Inclusive Empowerment Society, Felix Kongyuy
Volunteer Engagement: Karen Tan, Surrey DPAC
Social Enterprise: Surrey Hospice Thrift Store
Campaign Success: Big Sisters Lower Mainland (Surrey office)
Client Success: Down Syndrome Research Foundation
Leadership: Gerard Bremault, Centre for Child Development
Philanthropist of the Year: The Cmolik Foundation, Russell and Ellen Cmolik.
Award received by The Cmolik Foundation COO, Elisa Carlson.
For more photos from our event, please click here
**More photos coming soon!
Our emcee for the evening, funnyman David C. Jones. Actor, director, writer, filmmaker, event producer, teacher and coach, David C. Jones makes his living in the performing arts, barely. A graduate of Studio 58 and a teacher at The Vancouver Film School he has acted in plays by Mamet, Coward, Shakespeare and Stoppard. He also works as a corporate comedian and a keynote speaker with the Audience Engagement Academy. His short film Same Boat won the People’s Choice Award in 2015. He was shocked to be recipient of a Legacy Award in The Arts and was equally surprised when he was sainted by the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. He was the Entertainment Manager of the 2010 Winter Olympics. www.davidcjones.ca @iamdavidcjones
Saxophonist Paul Choisil shared his incredible brand of jazz. Born in Haiti, Paul attended the Conservatory of Music. As his interest in popular music expanded, he became involved with local groups playing Caribbean, Latin and Brazilian music. Once Paul arrived in North America, he found himself willfully influenced by Jazz.
Paul has performed in the Caribbean, New York, Montreal, Halifax and Hong Kong and is now a resident of Vancouver, BC.
One of two dance troupes that performed at our awards ceremony, Bollywood Hungama Dance Academy is the only school in Surrey, BC which teaches Bollywood freestyle dance, Punjabi Bhangra-Giddha, Kathak, Hip Hop and Salsa. The school’s junior and senior teams have been winners of the first prize trophy for 5 years in a row at the Surrey Arts Festival and Showtime Promotion competitions. http://www.bollywoodhungama.ca
Shan E Punjab Arts Club was founded in 2008 by a group of passionate bhangra and giddha devotees, all of whom have countless years of knowledge and practice under their belts. The joint passion for their culture, heritage and musical art was combined to create this flourishing academy. http://www.spacbc.com/
We’re are thrilled to announce the nominees for our 2017 Serving with Distinction Awards!
- Baobab Inclusive Empowerment Society
- DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society
- Moving Forward Family Services
- Pacific Community Resource Society
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S. BC, Sireen El-Nashar
- Karen Tan, Surrey District Parental Advisory Council
- Musician Impact Network Society
- Youth Transforming Society
- Surrey Hospice Thrift Store
- Big Sister BC Lower Mainland
- Surrey Christmas Bureau Society
- Surrey Libraries
- Down Syndrome Research Foundation
- Surrey District Parental Advisory Council
- Red Fox Healthy Living Society
- Felix Kongyuy, Baobab Inclusive Empowerment Society
- Gerard Bremault, Centre for Child Development
- Melissa Dotto, LBC Youth Next Generation’s Ministry
- Jake Nolan, LBC Youth Next Generation’s Ministry
- Langley Senior Resources Society
- Sgt. Lindsay O’Ruairc, Sophie’s Place Child Advocacy
- Greg Chang, SuperChefs
- Narima Dela Cruz, Surrey Philippine Independence Society
Awards are given out for the following categories:
- Vital Signs, Newcomers
- Volunteer Engagement
- Social Enterprise
- Campaign Success
- Client Success
We’ll also be announcing our choice for Philanthropist of the Year at the event!
Good luck to all of our nominees!