SurreyCares prides itself on responding to needs through its Annual Grants Program and providing financial assistance to initiatives that directly affect the vitality of our community. SurreyCares has a long history of supporting a broad range of areas that shape the City we live in; some of which include Arts and Culture, Heritage, Youth, Education, Literacy, and Family Services. Since its inception, SurreyCares has disbursed over one million dollars to registered charities providing services within the City of Surrey.
- Maximum requests for funding are not to exceed $5,000. SurreyCares’ ability to grant out funds is dependent on the level of our endowment funds. As our funds continue to grow, we anticipate these levels to increase and will revise this figure accordingly.
- Not-for-profit organizations recognized by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as registered charities
- Funding from other viable sources has been sought and/or obtained
- Services/projects/events that will:
- Benefit Surrey residents
- Draw upon and enhance community capacity
- Involve the community in development and execution
- Have real potential for sustainability
Additional Eligibility Criteria:
- A good track record within the community
- Financial stability
- Good likelihood project can be delivered successfully
- Offers good value for monies expended
APPLICATIONS THAT WILL NOT BE FUNDED
- Applications for projects/programs that will NOT go forward if the grant is NOT awarded
- Applications for the provision of services that will NOT benefit Surrey residents
- Services that are already well supported by national or local charities, or by government funding, or that duplicate existing projects
- Funds to cover deficits or sabbatical leaves
- Funds to cover wages and/or salaries
- Activities of religious organizations that serve primarily their membership and/or their direct religious purpose
- Applications that fund operations
- Capital expenditures not related to a project
- Applications that are not accompanied by a service/project/event specific budget
- Applications that have not been signed
- Applications that do not include attachments requested
GRANT CATEGORIES & PRIORITIES
Many not-for-profit organizations set up their own Agency-Advised Donor Funds so that they can receive funds annually in perpetuity from the interest earned on their fund which ensures their own sustainability. Please contact our office for more information.
- Youth Initiatives
The Coast Capital, Surrey YMCA, Surrey Youth and CIBC Wood Gundy Field of Interest Funds were established by donors who have indicated youth as an area of community need, but leave the decision-making up to SurreyCares based on donor criteria. SurreyCares’ Youth Empowering Surrey (YES) Team is responsible for evaluating and making recommendations to the Grants Committee on all youth specific applications.
- Special Needs
The Surrey Rehabilitation Society (SRS) established a Donor Advised Fund to support non-profit agencies that assist individuals with special needs integrate into the workforce.
- General Community
The Surrey Community Fund, Surrey Metro Fund and the Surrey Foundation Directors’ & Friends’ General Funds were set up to provide the greatest impact on community needs. This type of fund allows SurreyCares the discretion to direct funds to the most critical needs in the City. Currently these include: Arts & Culture, Education & Literacy, Heritage, Successful Integration of Immigrants into Surrey Society, the Environment, and Seniors.
MARCH – Release notice of Spring Grant Cycle
APRIL 30 NOON – Grant Application submission deadline (in our office by noon – late applications will NOT be accepted; no exceptions). Staff may phone or meet with you to go over further details of your project.
MAY – Youth Empowering Surrey (YES) Team and Grant Committee meet to evaluate and make recommendations to the Board of Directors
JUNE – Approval by Board of Directors and decisions rendered to applicants, along with any terms and conditions of approved grants
AUGUST – Cheques issued to successful applicants
NOVEMBER 19, 4 pm – Grant Awards & Recognition Ceremony at the Surrey Arts Centre, 13750 88th Avenue, Surrey (grant recipients expected to attend and present your project; all applicants welcome)
HOW TO APPLY
All submitted materials become the property of SurreyCares.
- Click link to open the online Grant Application form (you can find a PDF copy of the questions here, if you want to read them through and think about your answers before beginning your online application)
- Complete Application online, with attention to information about grant eligibility criteria, categories, and application tips (below)
- Submit your completed, along with the signed authorization/signature page and all required attachments (listed on the first page of the online application), by NOON, APRIL 30th (no late submissions will be accepted; no exceptions).
Online Application Information:
Please be prepared to complete it in one sitting. The online form now has a save-for-later feature, but it is still in testing (beta) mode, and we can’t promise there won’t be glitches, even though it’s working really well in our tests. If you want to prepare all your answers in advance, you can download a PDF copy of the questions we ask here, but please only complete your application using the online form. (For those who have mailed us your applications in the past, we’re no longer accepting them that way.)
Complete the online application form so that it is received in our office by NOON, APRIL 30th, using the online form provided at this link: http://www.surreycares.org/2015-grant-application/
Please include your SIGNED Signature Page and all supporting documents, preferably uploaded with your online application. Applications missing the signatures and required supporting documents after NOON on April 30th WILL NOT RECEIVE CONSIDERATION.
TIPS FOR COMPLETING A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION
- Show how your program helps the development of community assets
- Clearly state goals, purpose for funding, an implementation strategy, and any planned measurements for success
- Provide evidence of collaboration with other groups and agencies in the field
- Does not duplicate other existing services
- Builds on individual and community strengths
- Demonstrates a commitment to the project through a contribution of human and/or financial resources
- Provide realistic plans for longer-term funding for projects that will be ongoing after the grant’s end
- Demonstrate how the target population will participate in the development and implementation of the project
- Submit a budget ONLY for the services/project/event being applied for
EXPECTATIONS FOR SUCCESSFUL GRANTS
- Activities will reflect those described in the approved application form. Any deviation is subject to prior approval
- Proper fiscal management
- Acknowledgement of the support received from SurreyCares (SurreyCares logo and other resources to be provided to all grant recipients)
- Grant recipients will be expected to submit a Final Report to SurreyCares by November 30th (Please note that if the project is not completed by this date that an Interim Report will be expected at this time, and the final to follow once the project has been completed.)
- Grant recipients will participate in our Annual Grant Awards & Recognition Ceremony in November
Foundation staff and/or volunteers appreciate the opportunity to make site visits, and in some cases, may ask to highlight your project for use in our communications and publications.
For more information, please contact our office at email@example.com or by phone at (604) 591-2699.
Please note that our office hours are Monday, 9 am to 3 pm, and Thursday, 9 am to 3 pm.